To have a smooth and healthy looking skin is a dream for every human being. It’s the quest that we are after for smoother, and young looking skin is never-ending. While dealing with everyday stress, breakouts and sun damage, we always find ourselves fighting for clean skin. Some of the problems we have in our skin are genetic but some of them are evolved with time. Our skin health got influenced by many factors like pollution, sunrays, stress that over time result in acne, roughness of the skin, wrinkles etc. With simple and easy habits if inculcate in life can bring us back our skin.
It is to be noted these are not the only ways to get healthy looking skin. I covered the aspects which are less talked about. Other than the below, getting the right moisture for the skin, having daily skin routine is recommended.
1. DRINK ENOUGH WATER:
I know you have heard it zillion of times but this is the most important habit to have in your life. Drinking enough water a day not only keeps you hydrated but also flushes out excess toxins from your body which leads to cause acne and other skin problems.
- Have a measurement on how many liters to drink in a day. You can easily calculate it via the internet.
- Have a water reminder app on your phone. It really helps in keep you reminding and updating how many glasses of water you have taken in a day. That’s so cool, right?
- You can make detox water for yourself as well if you want to lose weight. all you have to do is take:
- Cucumber (slices)
- Lemon ( juice/ slices)
- Mint leaves.
Put all the three ingredients in the bottle and keep it aside your office table or beside your bed so that every time you see it you sip from it.
2. APPLY SPF BEFORE GOING TO SUN:
Again it is a very common thing but at the same very important to address here. We usually apply it in summer but it is not restricted for summer alone. It should be applied in every season be it (winter, monsoons, spring etc.) because the need for shielding your skin from harmful sun rays is essential.
Why you should apply sunscreen?
- The continuous depleting ozone layer has put us are a higher risk of harmful rays of the sun.
- It shields your skin from developing signs of aging such as wrinkles, fine lines etc.
- It prevents sunburn, sunburn weakens your skin which results to bruises, all this comes from the influence of UV rays.
How to apply sunscreen?
Before buying a sunscreen make sure your SPF has:
- Zinc oxide
- Titanium oxide
- Avobenzone ( parsol)
- Octyl methoxycinnimate (OMC)
Chose a sunscreen that is waterproof and comes with at least SPF 30, you can increase it with the area you live in.
Apply sunscreen (30 min) prior you came into the contact of the sun
Note: Like applying is necessary, reapplying it in every 2 hours is also essential.
3. CLEAN YOUR MOBILE SCREEN REGULARLY:
You may have listen to this a lot of times that a screen of your smartphone is as dirty as a public toilet seat. Most probably, it is very rare that you give you mobile screen a good wipe down. There is no question about how addicted are we with our smartphone. When in constant touch with our phone it results in having breakouts, acne etc.
How to fix that?
- Clean your screen twice a day with a microfiber cloth. It is easily available in the market. Always keep it in your purse so that you can use it any time you want. It will help in cleaning oil, makeup, and bacteria from your phone.
- We make our face contact when we talk on the phone. You can take Bluetooth to avoid making any contact with your phone with your face.
4. CLEAN YOUR MAKE UP BRUSHES:
In order to prevent bacteria build up which can lead to unwanted breakouts, we should clean our brushes once in a while. If you apply to make up from dirty brushes, your application will be spotty and the blending will be difficult to do.
How often one should wash?
- Foundation and concealer brushes – once a week
- Eye area brushes- twice a month
- Other bushes- once a month.
Note: soaking up brushes regularly can also extend the life of the brushes.
What should you use to clean your brushes?
You don’t need any special liquid to clean your brushes. You need only two things.
- A gentle soap.
How to clean your brushes?
- Wet the brushes in lukewarm water
- Place soap into your palm
- Gently massage the bristles
- Squeeze excess moisture with a towel
- Let the brush dry.
5. WASH/ CHANGE YOUR PILLOW CASES REGULARLY:
Every night when you sleep your body sheds skin, hair and body oil that your pillow absorbs. The buildup of these can
- Cause your pillow to smell
- Overtime it attract dust mists to grow in your pillow
- The oil in your skin and hair gather in the fabric and make your face/ acne worse
How often you should change your pillow cases?
It is admirable if you do it regularly but at least once in 2 days should be done.
Silk pillows cases prevents hair loss and damage, it as well prevent wrinkles.
6. EAT HEALTHY.
Junk foods are tasty and they are also quick to make but you don’t have any idea how much it damages your skin and overall health. Having junk food once in a while is fine but making it your habit is something cannot be taken lightly especially if you want to a healthy lifestyle. Healthy eating not only keeps you looking radiant and glowing from outside but also makes you stronger from within, it keeps you out of stress and when you feel stronger and healthy from within you tend to be more productive and efficient in any work you do. It will also keep you away from doctors.
I am going to share top 10 food to have which will help you in getting healthy and glowing skin in my next article. I will link it below. Stay tuned.
7. DON’T TAKE EXTRA-HOT SHOWER:
Taking hot water shower can be very bad for your skin.
- It can damage your skin cells:- extra hot showers can force your skin into a state of stress
- It will try out your skin: – hot water shower will lead to cell damage, breakouts and infections.
- It will dry out your skin: – hot water washes away skin protective oils and your skin will be dry, itchy and tight.
Note: You should take bath in lukewarm water. Bathing time should be (10-15 minutes). Use gentle body wash for your skin to prevent skin from becoming dry and damaged.
8. GO TO BED EARLY:
There are amazing benefits of sleeping early. By sleeping early you will see a profound impact on your skin health.
Poor sleep can lead to increase stress hormones in the body that increases the tendency of skin conditions such as acne. Poor sleep:-
- Worsen your existing skin problem.
- Detracts from your skin natural beauty.
How to get a good night rest?
Other than going tan o bed early. Peaceful sleep is equally important. For that:-
- Don’t eat big meal late night in a day
- Sleep in a warm blanket to have a quality sleep.
- Keep electronics out of your room or you can keep your phone in airplane mode.
- Try to Keep your place dark and out of noise.
- Drink water all day but not so much at night as it disrupts the sleep.
9. CUTBACK ALL THE BAD HABITS:
Smoking, alcohol, stress, anxiety, anger etc. all these things no only lead to a sad life but also it makes you look dull and sometimes twice your age.
A cigarette smoke contains carbon monoxide which displaces the oxygen in your skin and nicotine which reduces the bold flow leaves skin dry and discolored. Smoking also depletes many nutrients including vitamin c which help protect and repair skin damage. Once smoking wrinkle up your face it will have hard to correct the damage even with cosmetic surgery.
Stress, on the other hand, causes a chemical response in your body that makes skin more sensitive and reactive. It causes our system to be under red alert all the time. It causes the mind to be over-active, worrying continuously. Stress causes your body to make harmonies like cortisol which tells your glands to make more oil which results in acne and other skin problems.
10. BE CAREFUL WITH SCRUBS:
Everyday exfoliation is not good for skin it can take away the skin natural oil which can cause breakouts and rashes.
How often you should scrub?
- 2 or 3 times a week for normal and combined skin
- Once a week for sensitive skin.
You should buy a scrub according to your skin type. You can either buy it from a store or DIY it. There are plenty of options available in the internet but here I am going to share two of my personal favorite scrubs.
It’s totally up to you if you want a scrub from store but I prefer to make it in a home because
- They are inexpensive and easily available.
- Free from chemicals.
1. Sugar face scrub: (this I used when I don’t have enough time). It is a 2 ingredient scrub. All you need is:
- Coconut oil. – 1 tbsp.
- Sugar – 2tpsp.
Mix them well, apply it in your face for 60 sec and then rinse off with water.
2. Lemon and sugar face scrub:
- Olive oil- 1 tbsp.
- Honey – 1tbsp
- Lemon – ½
- Granulated sugar – ½ cup
Mix it well. Apply it for 1 min. Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
At last, I want to say is that the quest of Getting radiant and blemishes free skin is something which will never end, other than mentioned above you should always keep looking and experimenting on skin routine according to your skin type and your daily routine. I wish you clear and healthy looking skin.
Thanks for reading. 🙂